We investigate how cellular forces, local cell, and tissue viscoelasticity, and cellular mechanosensitivity contribute to CNS development and disease. Methods we are exploiting include atomic force microscopy, traction force microscopy, custom-built simple and complex compliant cell culture substrates, optical microscopy including confocal laser scanning microscopy, and cell biological techniques.
- Role of tissue mechanics in regulating neuronal development
- Quantification of CNS tissue mechanics in health and disease
- Role of tissue mechanics in pathological processes such as foreign body reactions and spinal cord injuries
- Symmetry breaking of microtubule networks in neurons
- Development of atomic force microscopy-based methods to measure and manipulate tissue mechanics
- Development of AI-based software for automated data/image analysis
No projects found.
- Labouesse, C., Tan, B.X., Agley, C.C., Hofer, M., Winkel, A.K., Stirparo, G.G.,... Chalut, K.J. (2021). StemBond hydrogels control the mechanical microenvironment for pluripotent stem cells. Nature Communications, 12(1). https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-26236-5
- Oliveri, H., Franze, K., & Goriely, A. (2021). Theory for Durotactic Axon Guidance. Physical Review Letters, 126(11). https://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.126.118101
- Axpe, E., Orive, G., Franze, K., & Appel, E.A. (2020). Towards brain-tissue-like biomaterials. Nature Communications, 11(1). https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-17245-x
- Jakobs, M.A.H., Franze, K., & Zemel, A. (2020). Mechanical Regulation of Neurite Polarization and Growth: A Computational Study. Biophysical Journal, 118(8), 1914-1920. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2020.02.031
- Kjell, J., Fischer-Sternjak, J., Thompson, A.J., Friess, C., Sticco, M.J., Salinas, F.,... Goetz, M. (2020). Defining the Adult Neural Stem Cell Niche Proteome Identifies Key Regulators of Adult Neurogenesis. Cell Stem Cell, 26(2), 277-293.e8. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.stem.2020.01.002
- Kulenkampff, K., Lippert, A.H., Mccoll, J., Santos, A.M., Ponjavic, A., Jenkins, E.,... Klenerman, D. (2020). The Costs of Close Contacts: Visualizing the Energy Landscape of Cell Contacts at the Nanoscale. Biophysical Journal, 118(6), 1261-1269. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2020.01.019
- Rheinlaender, J., Dimitracopoulos, A., Wallmeyer, B., Kronenberg, N.M., Chalut, K.J., Gather, M.C.,... Franze, K. (2020). Cortical cell stiffness is independent of substrate mechanics. Nature Materials. https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41563-020-0684-x